Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A Sandwich That Could Kill

Today at work we had an almost all-day training seminar. The company was nice enough to cater our lunch, and they brought in boxed lunches from Panera Bread. I've been to Panera a few times before, and I've always liked their sandwiches. They were yummy and tasted great. I picked a Bacon Turkey Bravo sandwich. The sandwich had a lot of turkey, lots of lettuce, tomatoes, smoked Gouda cheese, bacon, and their "signature" dressing. I assumed that it wouldn't be entirely unhealthy because turkey is pretty lean and there were some veggies. Sure, maybe the bacon was unhealthy. I looked at Panera's Web site, mostly because I was curious to see what else was on their menu. I clicked on the nutritional information for the sandwich I had, and I was mortified. 840 calories. 11 grams of saturated fat (55% of your recommended daily allowance). 100mg cholesterol (35% daily allowance). 2930mg sodium (122% daily allowance). Oh my God! Who knew a sandwich could be so bad and unhealthy?! Might as well just eat a cheeseburger.

Now that I have a week's worth of sodium in my body, I suppose I need to double my potassium intake.

No comments: