Monday, October 10, 2011

Baking Adventures - Failure

Apparently this was my weekend to be a failure in the kitchen. After my dinner failure on Saturday, I was feeling a little defeated. So on Sunday I got ambitious and decided to make banana bread. I have never made banana bread or any type of bread for that matter. I have made banana–chocolate chip muffins before, so I thought that it wouldn't be all that different to make banana bread. But I was still a little nervous. I found a recipe that looked easy and I had all the ingredients on hand, so I thought, what the heck, let's do it.

I often freeze bananas when they start to get overripe, so that I can use them in banana muffins. I pulled some out of the freezer and left them on the counter to thaw. And, knowing that I needed "softened" butter, I pulled that out of the fridge, too. Once I thought the bananas were thawed enough and the butter was soft enough, I decided to get started. Step one, preheat oven. Check. Step two, grease a loaf pan with butter. Check. Then things went downhill from there. Sad, I know. The next step was to cream the butter and the directions said to do it with a hand mixer (which I don't have), a food processor (which I also don't have), or a whisk. Great, I thought, I'll use my whisk. I even watched a video online to see how to properly cream the butter; all you have to do is whisk and whip it. That should be easy. Basically most of the butter got crammed up into a ball on the inside of my whisk. So I had to keep pushing it back out with a knife. Then I'd try to whisk it again, and it would clump up again. I kept this up for a while, but then started to get a little impatient and just told myself that what I had done so far was good enough.

The next step was to add two eggs and the mashed bananas. The next thing I realized was that the bowl I was using was too small. But, did I put it into a bigger bowl? No, of course not. So I tried to mix everything together. The next problem I ran into was that the bananas, although thawed, were still too cold. Once they hit my "creamed" butter, the butter cooled and solidified again. So I had a mix of eggs, bananas, and clumps of butter. It was at that moment when I knew that things were slowly turning into a disaster. But because I didn't want to just give up and throw away all of the ingredients that I had already measured out, I kept on going. I added the banana, egg, butter mix to all of the dry ingredients, and I gently folded everything in. The recipe said that "the batter would be a bit lumpy." Well, what I had was one giant, dry lump that was coated with various flours, powders, and sugar. The recipe then said to "pour the batter into the loaf pan." Pouring was not possible with the "batter" I had. Instead, I had to scoop the batter into the pan with a wooden spoon. And then I put it in the oven.

As it was baking it smelled nice. It smelled like banana bread, at least. When it was done, I pulled it out of the oven, and knew that it wasn't going to be great. For one thing, it did not look pretty and it was really dry on the outside. The top of the banana bread was so lumpy that it looked like I had topped it with a streusel topping. After I let it cool, I cut into it. As expected, it was dry. When I tasted it, it tasted OK, but it was just really dry and dense. It's probably the quality that I can eat myself, but it's not the type of thing that I would share with my family or friends.

There are probably a number of things that I did wrong. I probably didn't let the bananas completely thaw and let come to room temperature. I probably didn't let the butter soften enough before trying to "cream" it with a whisk. I probably made a mistake using the whisk, when just a wooden spoon would have been enough. Or maybe I need to buy an electric mixer. And, who knows, given my measuring skills, I could very well have screwed up the dry ingredients.

Anyway, I gave it a shot, and maybe things will be better when I try to make it again. Baking is entirely new to me, and I'm just not used to cooking or baking with precision. It's not like cooking a regular meal where I can just throw ingredients together. There is more of a science involved in baking, and I'm still trying to figure that out. Oh well. It took a few attempts to "perfect" my banana–chocolate chip muffins and my baklava bars. And it took three or four attempts to perfect crepes (or pannekoeken as my family calls it). So maybe I just need a few more tries to figure out banana bread. We'll see...

No comments: