Tuesday, February 16, 2010

More Economic Frustrations

Beginning in June my company decided to readjust its payment schedules for our pay checks. Instead of getting paid a set amount on the 1st and 15th of every month, we're getting paid every two weeks. This is causing a lot of problems for a lot of reasons. Somehow this translates to us getting paid about $200 less per paycheck until July. June happens to be the end of of our fiscal year, so I will not go into my conspiracy theory about how much money this is saving the company and how this will probably make the books and budget look better. But with the current paychecks, it almost feels like we are on furlough again. Sure, we'll get an "extra" paycheck in July, but that doesn't help me with my bills now. Another thing that is affected is that now the pay dates aren't on a set date every month. I, and many of my co-workers, have everything budgeted down to the day and penny. Now it is harder to manage all of this, and so far a lot of people have said that they have come close to overdrawing their accounts. And I won't even go into the fact that the cost of living raise we get this year will probably be minimal, if we even get anything at all.

Because of all of this, lately I've been reevaluating my living situation. I just moved into a wonderful new apartment, but it's also on the expensive side. If I can't be guaranteed a reasonable raise, then I have to seriously consider if I can continue living here. There are places in nearby cities that are cheaper by about $200 or $300. Some of these places are only a little bit smaller than my current place, but also in some of these washers and dryers are included. It wouldn't be Boulder anymore, but that might be the price I have to pay just to survive.

So once again, I've been frustrated with budgets and finances. I think about my education, all my degrees, all my work experience, and I can't help but think how grossly underpaid I am. Even when I go online to find competitive salaries for other people in my position, I'm still about $10,000 to $20,000 under what is considered average. Sad!

What I really need is a generous person to make an anonymous donation of about $5,000 to my bank account, or pay my rent for the next four months. Or I need all of my universities to pay me back for all of the outstanding work I've done. If the alumni associations can ask me for money, why can't I ask them for money? Maybe I need to play the lottery. Or maybe I need to sell an egg or a kidney...

Sorry, all, I just had to vent. Typing quickly and angrily, so forgive any spelling or grammatical errors.

Current mood: stressed and frustrated

No comments: