Saturday, August 08, 2009

Connected

For the past week or so, I've been thinking about getting a new cell phone. My now previous cell phone was perfectly fine. Even though it was four years old, it still worked well, always got great reception, never dropped a call, and in general was a perfectly fine phone. But, I just got it in my head that I wanted a newer phone and an upgrade. Quite frankly, seeing my nieces and nephews with all kinds of fancy, high-tech phones put the idea into my head. So, for the past few days I've been doing a lot of research online and looking into some of the latest phones. The LG enV Touch got a lot of great reviews on cnet and the Verizon Web site, and today I went to the Verizon store to give it a closer look. I liked what I saw and decided to buy it. Actually, "buy" it isn't even an appropriate term. The phone itself is about $200, but with the in-store discount, "new every 2" program, and rebates, the phone cost $o.00! I had to upgrade my plan, but I can live with that.

The phone is super fancy and is filled with quite a few features. In addition to the standard calling features, it comes with mobile web, mobile e-mail, and your basic text messaging abilities. So if I wanted to, I could check my e-mail or browse the web from my phone. The phone also has a camera and a music player. And in addition to all that, it also has some fun tools like an alarm clock, calendar, stopwatch, world clock (in case I want to know what time it is in Athens or any other city, like Tokyo), notepad, drawing pad, calculator, and even a tip calculator. I'm pretty excited about the tip calculator. Being an editor and one who often has lunch or dinner with a group of other editors, calculating the tip and dividing the bill among 5 or 6 people can sometimes be quite the ordeal. None of us are paid for our math skills, so now it's nice to have a handy calculator rather than trying to spend 10 minutes sorting out our bill!

I'm still figuring out the navigation of the phone and all of the menus and features, and I've already accidentally called two people while playing around in the address book, but eventually I'll get the hang of it. So far this new phone seems really nice.

Current mood: relaxing
Current music: Tori Amos "Spark"
Current drink: Fat Tire

No comments: