Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Empty

I am now coming to the end of a wonderful vacation. For the past week, I've had most of my family in town. My parents and one brother stayed with me, two other brothers and their families stayed in nearby hotels, and my sister and her family lives not far from me. The only person missing was one sister-in-law, and she was missed. We were all gathered together to attend my nephew's wedding. The wedding and reception were beautiful, and what was most wonderful was simply having the family together in one place. We are a tightly knit family with very strong bonds. Even though we might not see one another every year and, unfortunately, we often go several years without seeing one another, but when we reunite, it is as if we never left one another and it is as if no time had passed. Whenever we get together, the rooms get loud and filled with laughter. We enjoy reminiscing about the good old days and reliving cherished memories. We simply enjoy one another's company, and you can actually feel the love filling the room. Everyone went home today and my home is now empty and quiet, and this makes me really sad.

Whenever I hear friends or co-workers talk about how much they hate their parents or their siblings, I feel sorry for them. I feel sorry that they don't know the same love and affection and bond that my family knows. And I know that I'm extremely fortunate and blessed to be part of such a wonderful family.

No comments: