Saturday, August 14, 2010

Crazy Neighbors

Ever since I moved to this apartment complex a few years ago, I've been relatively free of crazy neighbors. Loyal readers will remember my stories and posts about the cray neighbors at my previous apartment complex. Because I lived close to campus, I had the occasional drunk student mistake my apartment for his. I've been woken up a few times in the middle of the night by the sound of someone trying to get in my apartment. Fortunately the students were nice enough to apologize before going on their drunk merry way. I've had drunk students throw up on the sidewalk in the complex. And I've had the noisy neighbor who would talk loudly on phone outside my windows.

But when I moved to my current complex, everything was quite and peaceful. I heard my neighbors coming and going and I spoke to them in passing. But for the most part the people living around here are older, working people and not students. If they are students they are older grad students. So things have been quiet. But after moving into my current unit, I have had to deal with a little more noise now that I'm on the first floor and living under a couple and their two kids. Apart from the running and jumping and occasional screaming from the kids, I have never heard a peep out of the adults. Until yesterday.

Just as I was about to make my dinner, I was distracted by an argument coming from upstairs. At first it was just some muffled arguing until the couple went outside on their balcony. Then I and the entire complex became privy to their entire argument. Wife/girlfriend began by yelling at husband/boyfriend about the haircut that the older child got during the day.

She began with something like, "what the f*ck were you thinking? how could you do that?!"
He responded with something like, "are you f*cking kidding?"
"I work all day and I give you one thing to do and you f*ck it up! I told you to get his hair trimmed and you go and do this! I don't want my child looking like a cancer patient" (At this point I gathered that maybe the haircut was probably a buzz cut.)
"It's just a haircut, it's what he wanted." the boyfriend/husband yelled back.
"Maybe your dad let you do what you wanted to do when you were his age, but that's not going to happen to my son. He's not old enough to make his own decisions." The husband/boyfriend started to argue back but I didn't understand what he was saying, but then the wife/girlfriend yelled back, "You need to get out of my house, because I can't even stand to look at you."

Oh dear! That last line sounded pretty dramatic. You might even say a little melodramatic. As I listened to this entire argument, I found myself starting to take sides in spite of not knowing the people and not knowing what else was going on. Although the guy might have screwed up on getting the kid a buzz cut, it is just a haircut and hair grows back. The gal's reaction seemed a little too emotional for the circumstances. But what do I know.

Needless to say, it made for an entertaining and exciting afternoon experience.

No comments: