Sunday, August 01, 2010

Stupid Reviews

Whenever hearing or reading a review, whether it be a book review or a movie review or any kind of review, I always try to take it with a grain of salt. Unless the review is coming from a family member or a close friend who knows my style and taste, I know to not get my hopes up or to get too excited. People just have different interests and tastes, and that's perfectly fine. I've been given glowing reviews and recommendations on things that I ended up not liking, and I'm sure there are a lot of things I really like that others would not like. It's just the way of the world and that's what keeps things fun and interesting.

But there is such a thing as a stupid review. Last night, while looking for something good to watch from Netflix, I stumbled across North Face. It was listed under the "Popular in Boulder, Colorado" category. The movie is set in the 1930s and it is about two German mountain climbers and their Austrian rivals who set out on a treacherous mountain climb of the Eiger in the Swiss Alps. The movie is absolutely beautiful, stunning, intense, exciting, and moving, and I would recommend it to family and friends (and they can take that review and recommendation with a grain of salt, if they wish).

But now I must return to the stupid review part of this post. In addition to being listed under "Popular in Boulder," North Face is also listed under "Foreign Films" and "German Language." It's a foreign film, and, to Americans, that usually means that the movie is not in English. Yep, that's why they call it a foreign film, buddy...

No comments: