Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cat Adventures (continued)

So, my cat adventures got more exciting after the first few days. In the beginning, the cat would come by at night every few nights, but it got to the point when he would come by every night at around 9:00 or 10:00. I would give him some food and water and pet him and play with him for a while. But eventually he would sit in front of the screen door and look out like he wanted to go back outside, so I would let him out before going to bed. I thought he would go back to his own home, but he would come back my apartment throughout the night. He'd wake me up at 2:00 in the morning by meowing in my patio or meowing at and scratching my bedroom windows. I got out of bed to check up on him and I put some food and water on the patio but I left him outside. I was hoping that would be enough to make him happy, but he kept coming back later in the night at 4:00 and 6:00 in the morning. It almost felt like I was taking care of an infant that wanted to eat every few hours!

Sitting on the back of the futon.

It got to the point where the cat was starting to come by more frequently and more consistently, so I was starting to worry that he really was a stray. I finally took him in the house and kept him in the house because I was starting to worry about him being out all night. I was afraid that he might be snatched up by another wild animal, like a coyote, or that he might get into a fight with a raccoon or something. At this point I didn't have a litter box, but the cat would often go to the bathroom in the wood chips that are in my patio, so I filled up a Xerox box lid with some of these wood chips and I put it in the bathroom for him. The next morning I had to go to work to attend a few meetings, so I locked the cat in my bathroom with his litter box and some food and water. I went to my meetings then took the rest of the day off to take care of the cat. I immediately went to the store and bought a real litter box and some kitty litter and rushed home to make sure the cat was OK. The cat was fine and it even looked like he used the makeshift litter box, but I set up the real litter box for him to use.

I kept the cat inside with me for the next few days. Although he would often look out the windows or door like he wanted to go out, he seemed pretty happy to be with me. He would play with me, sit on the couch with me while I was watching TV, or sleep on my bed. Whenever I came home from work, he would come out of my bedroom and meow at me.

Getting comfy on my bed.

I knew I had to take the cat to a vet to be scanned for a microchip, so I made an appointment and took him in for a checkup and to be scanned. It turns out that he did have a microchip and the vet was able to find his owners. His owners actually live in my apartment complex, but they were out of town on business or a vacation and had a pet sitter taking care of the cat. Apparently the sitter didn't realize that the cat had not come home for several days. The cat's owners called me and said that he is an indoor-outdoor cat and he really likes to be outside. Obviously they don't care where their cat is late at night or they just assume that he will be OK. They even said that other people have taken the cat in before, thinking he was a stray, but he doesn't like collars "so what can they do."

I left the cat at the vet's office so that they could board him in their kennels until the owners got back from their trip. The vet was nice enough to not charge me for the visit, because he appreciated the fact that I was a good Samaritan and brought the cat in to be checked out. The owners got back from their trip on Monday, and, not surprisingly, the cat was back on my patio on Wednesday night and he has stopped by to visit just about every night since. Obviously he knows where he can get some extra food and more love.

Getting sleepy...

So, apparently I now have joint custody of this cat. Although the owners probably don't know it (or might not even care about it), the cat obviously wants to adopt me as a second mother. Whenever he comes by, I give him some water and a few treats and I play with him and cuddle him, until he wants to go outside again. Usually when I put him out, he sleeps on one of my patio chairs for a few hours, then disappears until the next night when he comes back again. We'll see how long this keeps up...

No comments: