Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cat Adventures (continued...still...)

So as to be expected the neighbor cat, Joey, continued to visit me this past week. As has been his pattern, he would stop by in the evening and meow at my patio door. Because I'm weak and a total pushover, I would always let him in for a few hours so that he could have a snack and so that we could cuddle and play for a little while. I would always let him back outside when it was my bedtime, and he would usually jump over the fence and go about his way. For the past few days, though, he has been sticking around again. When I let him back out at night, he would sleep on one of my patio chairs. He did this a few times before, but then he would leave during the night and I wouldn't see him until the next day. Lately he has spent the whole night on my patio. When I woke up, he would still be outside, on the chair, and when he woke up and saw me, he would meow and ask for breakfast. Naturally (because I'm weak) I would give him a few treats, cuddle with him, then send him back outside.

Taking a nap.

Yesterday, I admit, I kept him inside longer than usual. We sat on the couch together and watched a long documentary about ancient Greek history. But eventually I put him back outside, he wandered away for a few hours, but then came back and slept on my patio for the evening. This afternoon, though, I got a call from his parents and they said that they haven't seen him for a few days and they wondered if I saw him. I told them that he was sleeping on my patio, and that I'd meet them outside the building so that the could get the cat. As it turns out we live in the same building, on the same floor, and pretty much right across the hall from each other. I told them that he usually comes by my apartment every night and every morning, and I said that I was fine with him sleeping there at night because I've been worried about him getting snatched up by a coyote or some other animal. In my subtle way I was trying to give them a hint that maybe they should consider keeping him in at night, but they didn't seem phased by it. Oh well. So I just told them that I didn't mind that he visited and that if they ever couldn't find him, they could probably look over my fence and see if he was hanging around. After we chatted, we all went back to our apartments. They didn't take the cat with them, but let him play in the grass outside. Two minutes later, he was back in my patio asking to come in. I really think he wants to move in with me. He has certainly made himself at home...

Really, kitty?

No comments: