Monday, August 01, 2011

Crawling Out of the Quicksand

It has once again been nearly a month since I have last written here. Should I play the broken record again? Work has been especially overwhelming this month because I had about eight books going to press throughout the month. For those of you who are not in publishing and might not know, eight books going to press in one month is a lot. And to make matters worse, it seemed like every project was a mess or more complicated than it should have been. Because each project was mess or really complicated, every step of the process took twice as long as it should have, and unfortunately I had to put in a lot of overtime during the past few weeks. And, no, I don't get paid extra for overtime! Last week was my crunch week, my hell week, when the last of the projects had to be wrapped up and sent off. After several long nights and long weekends and a few tears, I was able to send the last of my books to press. I say "last of my books" but that only refers to the ones going to press. I still have seven other books that I need to work on. Sigh...

Oh well. At least I have a brief moment where I can "slow down" a little bit and catch my breath. Yes, I'm still somewhat busy, but at least I'm not frantic like I have been. I'm even hoping that I can take a few days off this month, just to give myself more time to relax.

Current mood: tired
Current music: iTunes on shuffle. Beth Waters "White Dogs in the Moonlight"
Current drink: Old Chub (beer)

No comments: