Monday, April 16, 2007

Dumb People on the Road

I'm not sure what it is, but there is something wrong with the day today. It seems like everyone is in a coma or walking around with their eyes closed today. During my lunch break, I had to go out to run a few errands. I was coming to an intersection and I had the green light, but there was an ambulance coming, so I stopped because I didn't know where it was going. A woman pulled up behind me and slammed on her horn for what seemed like five or ten seconds. When I looked in my rearview mirror, I could tell that she was cussing up a storm and gesturing. I don't know where she learned to drive, but I was told that you should stop for emergency vehicles when they have their lights and sirens on. Times like that I wish I had a James Bond car so that I could drop an oil slick to make her spin off the road. People, in general, seemed to be driving with only half their brains today. I saw someone nearly run over a motorcycle driver (who wasn't wearing a helmet, of course). Another person tried to make an illegal U-Turn, and since his SUV was bigger than the street, he had to make a three-point turn while traffic waited for him to get out of the way. I was at another intersection and I had another green light, but some guy with a bike decided to cross the street in the path of oncoming traffic. And to make things more interesting, he wasn't riding his bike, he was carrying it. I suppose the bright red hand that you see on street corners doesn't always mean "stop, don't cross." Yes, I wanted to cuss him out considering I was the one who had to slam on my breaks to avoid him, but then the thought crossed my mind that eventually he will get hit by a car, and that is simply natural selection at work. Then again, you have to wonder how so many stupid people managed to live this long...

Maybe tax day is making people angry and stupid. I mailed my taxes today and found great irony in the fact that the check I sent to the IRS happened to be check number 666. It is all too perfect...

No comments: