Monday, July 06, 2009

Furlough

I'm at home today and we're coming to the end of a four-day weekend. Friday was considered a holiday because it came before the Fourth of July. We are off today because this is the week when we start our summer furlough period. Everyone at work is excited to have an extra long weekend right now. I'm somewhat excited to have the time off because I work myself to near death on most days. I like having the extra day to sleep in, to be lazy, and to get some chores done or errands run. However, this isn't exactly a vacation and it isn't a holiday. It's a mandatory day off and we're not getting paid for it. I suppose this day off is a double-edged sword, or it is bittersweet, or it is whatever cliche you might want to use right now. I am grateful for the day off and for a chance to rest, but I would really like the money more. However, I suppose that I need to look on the brighter side. I need to endure the negatives and appreciate the positives. My salary might be reduced for the next three months, but I'm fortunate to still have a job. There are a lot of people out there in the world who are in worse shape than me right now. And, I'm not only fortunate just to have a job, but I'm fortunate to have a cool job. I help to make books, books that are sold in bookstores and books that people actually read. How cool is that? I might not be making $50,000 or $60,000 a year (or more), but I genuinely enjoy what I'm doing. Money can make things easier and it can buy a lot of things, but, as the old saying goes, it can't buy happiness. And, in spite of somewhat rough times right now, I still have a wonderfully supportive family and a few thoughtful friends. In the end, that is all that matters to me.

Current mood: resting and rejuvenating
Current music: Heather Small "Proud" (QAF mix)
Current drink: coffee

No comments: