Monday, July 27, 2009

Storms and Sacrifices

I apologize to my loyal readers for my scant posting over the past few weeks. Things have been extremely busy lately. Work has been busy, as usual, but I will be taking a vacation that begins today and ends next Tuesday. Although this is a much-needed vacation, I had a lot to do to get my projects in good order before I left. So that has been keeping me busy.

This week's vacation also involves my family coming out to Colorado for my nephew's wedding. So I've been busy getting my home ready for everyone's arrival. Most of my cleaning is done and most of my laundry is washed. Tonight I was planning on making a big shopping trip to make sure I have enough food and drinks to last through the week. It is pretty much the last big thing I needed to do.

The weather has been bad for most of the day with lots of rain and lightning and thunder. By the time I got home and had my dinner, it looked like the weather had cleared up. But when I left my apartment there was a light drizzle. I didn't think it would get any worse, so I went on my merry way to Liquor Mart to pick up some beer, wine, and other adult beverages. When I got out of Liquor Mart the clouds were looking darker and I could see some lightning and hear some thunder in the distance. I wanted to go to the grocery store to get the food, but the closer I got to the store, the more it started to rain. As I was driving I also saw huge bolts of lightning shooting across the sky and the thunder was ripping through the air. Then the rain really started. Things were looking pretty bad so I just gave up on my grocery shopping trip and decided to go home. By the time I pulled into my parking lot, it was pretty much a hurricane and there was a torrential downpour. I grabbed a case of beer and ran frantically to my building hoping that I would make it inside before I got struck by lightning. By the time I got to my door I was soaked. I looked out the window and the lightning was intense. It was so bad that I left a case of wine in my trunk, because I was too afraid to go out there!

Fortunately things have calmed down a bit and I've been able to retrieve my wine. But, man, that was a crazy storm! Maybe God is trying to tell me that I drink too much...

No comments: