Monday, July 06, 2009

The Rewrite

When I graduated from high school, I didn't go straight into a four-year university. Instead, I went to a community college. I had friends that went to places like USC, UCLA, or Boston College, and I was somewhat of the laughingstock of my circle of friends because I didn't immediately go to a big name university. I didn't really care what they thought. When I was enrolled, I was paying only about $12 per unit, while they were probably paying $1,200. And I was lucky to have professors who actually cared more about teaching than publishing articles or books. Even though I was at a community college and getting a "cheap" education, I nevertheless got a great education.

One of the best classes I took was a college writing course. I had an amazing professor and one of the things that she stressed was rewriting. She thought that one of the best ways to improve your writing skills and to strengthen your arguments was to constantly rewrite. Some rewording and some restructuring can make a world of difference in your writing. So, having been trained in that way, I'm still constantly reworking everything I write. And that includes this blog. I am not a journalist, and this blog isn't known around the world. This blog is personal and casual and informal, but I usually try my best to sound literate and coherent. I often write in haste, surely leaving behind a trail of errors here and there. But I think I also leave a trail of errors by overwriting. Restructuring sentences and rewording can leave their own trail of embarrassing errors.

Where am I going? What is the point of this post? Oh, I suppose this is in response to my own personal horror that I felt after rereading some of my recent posts and noticing a few errors. Apparently I don't always make use of my career as an editor before posting what I write! Anyway, all of this is a disclaimer to say that eventually I will fix all those errors that you might read in this blog.

There really isn't much of a point in this post...

No comments: