Saturday, October 03, 2009

Cooking Adventures - Pannekoeken

This evening I was in the mood for something different for dinner. I occasionally cook breakfast for dinner, and that craving along with a little homesickness led me to make pannekoeken tonight. Pannekoeken are Dutch pancakes and they are probably better described as crepes. If you want, you can probably make them savory and fill them with cheese and different meats, like sausage, ham, or bacon. Or you can make them like a dessert by filling them with pudding or fruit and topping them with whipped cream. My family always kept it simple and filled the pannekoeken with powered sugar and cinnamon.

I've never made pannekoeken before, but everyone has always said that it is easy to make. Still, this was going to be an experiment. The recipe to make the batter was simple, and I was ready to go. The first pannekoek looked awful, but apparently this is normal and to be expected, so I didn't get too worried. All in all, everything turned out pretty good. I think that I probably should have thinned out the batter a little bit with some more milk, and I need to work on my technique of pouring the batter into the pan and swirling it around—I got some interesting shapes that weren't quite circles! It wasn't quite as good as my Ma's, but for the most part it was a success.

No comments: