Sunday, October 25, 2009

This and That, Weekend Edition

It has been another busy week, so there hasn't been a whole lot to write about.

Work: I'm still trying to catch up and keep afloat after getting about ten new projects last week. Earlier this week, we also found out that we've started a "joint venture" with another smaller publisher. Basically this means that we've taken on another publisher and that means that even more work will start to come through our office. The good thing about this is that we obviously have enough money to take on another publisher and this is gives me an even better sense of job security. After all, someone will have to work on these books. The downside is that we're going to get a lot more work, and there is a chance that this work might come through my team. Right now we all have a lot of projects, and we're close to working at our maximum capacity. There is already a lot of restlessness and the complaints are getting louder, so I'm not looking forward to the time in a few months when we get even more work. All of this, however, is in the early stages and we're all still figuring out what this all means. This acquisition was, quite frankly, a surprise to everyone. So this is a bridge we'll have to cross when we get there. On the plus side, last week we received our first non-furlough paychecks. And, to celebrate our first non-furlough paychecks, the office had a huge happy hour in which everyone blew their paychecks. Fortunately I was strong enough to leave after spending $20. And I might add that I didn't spend a whole lot of money on my own order of drinks and food, but I helped pay for my boss's share of the drinks and food, because it was National Boss's Day. The party started at one bar and was then going to move to another bar where another, separate party was going on. The other party sounded like it wasn't going to be very happy or festive, because it had the more disgruntled employees in attendance. It was an Unhappy Hour, if you will. Because I didn't want to get depressed or spend more money than I wanted to, I decided to slip away and go home.

Weather:
The weather has been crazy lately. It has gone from winter to fall to summer back to fall and today it is winter again. Yesterday the weather was beautiful. It was in the 60s and it was sunny and clear for the most part. The only bad part of the weather yesterday were the winds. I woke up this morning and it was cloudy and grey. It started to rain, then it started to snow. The snow, however, didn't stick to anything, and it stopped for about 20 minutes. Now it's started again. Update: After about five minutes the snow stopped and the sun is trying to come out. I've updated this weather paragraph about three times since the initial post. I think I'm going to give up because it keeps changing minute-by-minute. I must live in Colorado. :)

Current mood: trying to get motivated to clean the apartment
Current music: iTunes on shuffle—Dave Matthews Band "Crash into Me"
Current drink: coffee

No comments: