Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cooking Adventures - Homestyle Potatoes

If I had to pick a favorite meal of the day, I think I would choose breakfast. I absolutely love breakfast and could eat it at any time of the day. I've often had breakfast in the evening after shopping, or even really late at night after an extended happy hour. I often have breakfast for dinner, and that's what I had tonight.

My original breakfast-for-dinner meal arose out of bad planning. It was on a day when I didn't take chicken (or pork or turkey or something) out of the freezer to thaw out. I also didn't have anything in the pantry that looked exciting, and I just wasn't in the mood for pasta. I wanted some kind of protein in my meal and when I saw the eggs in my fridge, I thought, why not? I made some toast, scrambled eggs, and hash browns. The hash browns were frozen hash browns that I just had to heat up, and they were great, but I thought that I could easily make my own that were fresher and cheaper. So one day I did that, and I've done that several times, and that's what I made tonight. Here is my recipe for my simple and easy Homestyle Potatoes. It makes about 2 large servings. And I don't know why they're called "Homestyle"...

Ingredients:
4 medium potatoes. I use the red, new potatoes (or whatever they're called)
1/2 onion, diced
olive oil
butter
salt
pepper
paprika

Directions:
1. Give the potatoes a good scrubbing, then cut into small cubes. If you use the red, new potatoes, you don't need to peel them.
2. Put the potatoes into a pot and fill with water so that the water covers the potatoes by about 2 inches.
3. Set on medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Let potatoes boil for about 10-15 minutes. You'll know the potatoes are ready when you can pierce them with a knife. Drain the potatoes and set aside.
4. Put a large skillet or saute pan on medium heat with a splash of olive oil and maybe a tablespoon of butter. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the potatoes to the pan and toss with the onions. Add salt, pepper, and paprika and continue to toss. If the pan seems too dry, you can add a bit more olive oil or butter. Go for the olive oil if you want it to be a bit healthier, but butter is always good, too.
6. Let the potatoes sit for a while in the pan until they get golden brown and crispy, and then you can toss them around again to brown the other sides of the potatoes. You can always turn the heat down if you think it's cooking too fast. Once the potatoes are all browned and cooked to your liking, they are ready to eat.

Additional Notes:
As you cook this, there is a chance that the onions will overcook slightly and become black. As long as the onions aren't completely burned to a crisp, it's OK. It gives the onion a different flavor and I personally like it. But if you're worried about completely burning your onions, you can always set them aside in a small bowl after you saute them. Then you can cook your potatoes as directed, and then add the onions back to the potatoes for the last 5 minutes or so.

If you're in the mood for something different, try this with sweet potatoes. Peel the sweet potatoes, cut them in small cubes, and cook according to the directions above. The process is the same; you're just using a different potato. And the sweet potatoes have the added benefit of being super healthy and loaded with lots of good vitamins.


Sorry I didn't take a picture of the final product. I basically started eating immediately after it was ready...

No comments: