Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy New Year!

Here we are at another New Year's day. Honestly, where did the last year go? It always seems like each year passes faster than the last year. Maybe that's just a sign that I'm getting older.

I'm recently home from another wonderful vacation. I was able to do a lot of relaxing and that is my idea of the perfect way to spend a vacation. I'm not one of those people that needs to do something or go somewhere every day. I don't need to have an agenda or a to-do list. My entire working life revolves around to-do lists and deadlines and agendas, so why would I want to make my vacation anything like that? I like to be lazy and I like to relax.

I felt fully recharged after my vacation, and, on Thursday, I was ready to go back to work—as ready as one could feel to go back to work after a wonderful vacation. As I was watching the news that morning while I was eating my breakfast, the weather report looked grim. They said that it would start to snow at around noon and that the evening commute would be pretty bad. I thought that I could get several hours of work in and then leave at about 3:00 before the roads got too bad. I got to work at my usual time, around 8:00, and started to get resettled into my projects. Snow started to fall lightly a little after 8:30, but then it really started to pick up at about 9:00. The snow was falling pretty fast and hard. At around 10:00, it looked like the weather wasn't going to get better but would only get much worse, so I decided to grab some work and go back home to work from home for the rest of the day. Normally I probably wouldn't be so quick to go home, but the weather did look bad and, in all honestly, hardly anyone was in the office yesterday. Lots of people were still on vacation, so there wasn't a whole lot going on.

As I was driving home, the roads already felt really slick and slippery. One road that I passed was blocked off by two police cars, so I wondered if the road was just really icy or if there was an accident. At one point I had to blow through an intersection just as the light was about to turn red, because I didn't want to hit my breaks and skid out of control. I also wanted to get away from the huge van that was riding my bumper because he must have thought I was driving too slowly or carefully. It continued to snow all afternoon and for most of the evening. On Friday morning, I decided to keep working from home. We were only scheduled to work for a half day because of the New Year's holiday, and I didn't think it was worth it to drive on the snow and ice to work for only a half day.

Needless to say, I'm happy to have this extended vacation.

No comments: