Thursday, January 20, 2011

Work-from-Home Day

Today I took advantage of one of our benefits: a work-from-home day. Basically this means that we can work from home one day, every other week. Even though the "policy" has been in place for about a year, I've only taken advantage of it a few times. I'm usually just too busy and most of the time I need to be in the office to do the things I need to do. But we've recently set things up so that we can log into our work network from our home computers. All I have to do is log in to a site, then I can power up my work computer from my home computer and I have access to everything I have access to if I were at work. This makes things much more convenient for us and it makes it easier to work from home.

I was planning this work-from-home day all week, and by a fortunate coincidence it happened to happen the day after we had our horrible snow storm. When it was all added up, we probably got only about 5 or 6 inches of snow. But when the snow first started to fall, it melted quickly on the roads because the roads were still relatively warm from the last few days. But then the temperature dropped quickly, and the roads suddenly iced over and then the snow started to fall harder. That's why we had so much chaos last night. I was lucky that I chose to work from home today, because the roads were still slick and icy in some places this morning. I was fortunate to spare myself that horrible drive into work.

The weather all day was bright and sunny and the skies were bright blue. The temperature got up to the mid-30s, and according to most of the weather and traffic reports, the snow and ice was starting to melt from the roads. So the drive into work tomorrow morning shouldn't be that bad, hopefully.

And, because I worked from home, I was able to focus and get a lot accomplished without too many distractions. And, because my home is a quiet and peaceful place, I was able to work in a very relaxed, low-stress manner. I actually feel pretty rested, almost as if I'm coming off of a weekend. Now I just have to go back to work for one more day, and I can start on the real weekend.

Current mood: relaxed and stuffed from dinner
Current music: iTunes on shuffle—Lisa Gerrard "The Valley of the Moon"
Current drink: root beer

No comments: