Sunday, June 08, 2008

Baking Adventures

I like to think of myself as a pretty decent cook, but I've never been much of a baker. I can't say that I'm a bad baker, because I've never really baked anything before. I mostly don't bake because the "easy-bake oven" in my current apartment sometimes scares me. The few times that I have baked meals--mac and cheese, other pasta dishes, pizza, a potato that always gives me problems--I've had mixed results of things being either slightly overcooked or slightly undercooked. So baking real baked goods scared me a little because it's supposed to be so precise. Anyway, this week is my week (with a partner) to bring in something for our office food group. I decided to test out something new, so I had a little baking adventure today. (I always like to test new recipes on myself first, before bringing it into the office. If it is a disaster, then I can come up with a plan B. And if I don't kill myself, then I know it's safe for everyone else...)

I found a recipe on the Betty Crocker Web site for Baklava Bars that sounded really good. Traditional baklava is really difficult to make, and it is a long, tedious process. But the recipe I found is much easier, even for me! It makes use of some handy shortcuts like sugar cookie mix and crushed phyllo shells. I just used regular phyllo dough and tore it and scattered it over the baklava. Next time I'll probably use more nuts, but, other than that, it turned out great!

This is really loaded with butter and sugar and honey, so it's not exactly healthy. But what do I care? I'm not watching my weight!!

No comments: