Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Dilated Editor Is a Useless Editor

Today I had my first eye appointment in about three years. As I mentioned in a previous post, the strain of my job has weakened my eyes a little bit. I did need a stronger prescription, but fortunately it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I had a full, comprehensive--yes, that was probably a bit redundant--exam. Because this was a new eye doctor for me, I had to get used to new tests on different machines. When the time came to test my eye pressure, I was expecting one of two tests. One would have been the puff of air. In the past it would always take about three or four times for the test to register, because I kept blinking so much. Another time the eye doctor tested my eye pressure by thumping a tono pen on my eyeball. That just felt weird. At this new eye doctor, they tested my eye pressure with a completely different machine. Before the test they put some thick, yellow drops in my eyes to numb them, so I didn't feel a thing. After that, the optometrist then had to dilate my eyes before she could do the other tests. She said that my eyes look great (I get that all the time!), and everything looks really healthy. She said the only strange thing she saw was that I have a "tilted nerve." Apparently that's normal and I was just born with a tilted nerve.

So everything turned out great. I picked out some cool new glasses and some new sunglasses. Usually it takes about five to ten days for those to come in, but the lady who was helping me said that she could put a rush on it, so maybe they will come in before I go on my vacation.

The only bad thing about the whole experience was going back to work after the appointment. I forgot about the aftereffects of getting your eyes dilated. Naturally I was sensitive to light, so the bright, fluorescent light in the office was a little harsh. I had to keep my sunglasses on for a few hours. Then I forgot that you have problems focusing on things up close. Well, not being able to read pages or the computer makes editing pretty difficult, so I was somewhat useless at work for the rest of the day. Next year, I have to remember to schedule my appointment for the afternoon instead of first thing in the morning. At least now my vision is finally starting to come back, but any typos, spelling or grammatical errors that you see in this post can be blamed on my dilation...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You got Sarah Palin glasses, I betcha.