Friday, November 14, 2008

This and That

Work: Things have been busy as usual. The end of the year tends to be one of the busiest times as we try to finish all of our books by December. So I've been busy, but I'm also resisting the temptation to stay late or to take work home with me. I try to listen to the wise advice of a lovely friend who whispers in my ear and tells me to not bring home with me. I just don't want to burn myself out, because I've done that too many times before. The rewards never quite measure up to the effort and energy expended.

Vacation: Things seem even busier at work because I'll be going home for vacation during the week of Thanksgiving. Yes, I'll be taking the entire week off! I'm really looking forward to it, but I just have a million things to do before then. In addition to the work, there are the life things I need to take care of. I should probably get a haircut. And next week I have an appointment to get my eyes checked. It's been about three or four years since I last had an eye appointment, and I think my eyes have been strained and abused by this career path that I've chosen. So I found an eye doctor in Boulder, and I finally made an appointment. My new doctor will probably yell at me for going so long without a check-up, but it will be nice to be able to see again. Then I need to stop my mail, make a reservation for the shuttle to take me to the airport, pay my bills, pay my rent, etc., etc., etc. …

Weather: When I woke up this morning I was surprised to see the first dusting of snow on the roofs, trees, and grass. This was the first noticeable snow that we've had this year. It's been snowing up high in the mountains, but until last night, nothing has hit the Front Range or the city. This is really odd. Usually we get our first snowfall in October, but here we are in the middle of November and we get our first dusting. And it really was a dusting. Plus it all melted within a few hours. I wonder if this means that we're going to have a mild winter this year. Or maybe it means that we're going to get hammered with a horrible blizzard sometime in December or March. You never know in this state!

Garlic: I've eaten so much garlic today, I think I will be able to repel vampires for about five years. This afternoon I went out to lunch with a few co-workers—my team and our boss—and we went to an Italian restaurant. We had garlic bread and then my dish had what seemed like an entire head of garlic in it. Then one of the treats at our Special Treats Food Club gathering today happened to be homemade hummus, and it happened to be a super garlic hummus. Wow! I'm going to be fun to be around for the next few weeks!

Current mood: tired
Current drink: soy milk

No comments: