Sunday, November 02, 2008

This and That, Weekend Edition

This has been another quiet weekend, and I'm thankful for that because it's been a busy week at work. I can't really remember what I did yesterday other than some small shopping and some chores around the house. Today I decided to do some real shopping and I decided to venture into the mall. As I'm getting older (and I'm so old), I'm becoming less and less of a mall shopper. I think it is because when you're at malls the sales people are more eager to help and encourage you to buy something. The worst are those little carts that you pass as your walking along where they try to sell their special products. Some people are selling different cell phone plans, others are selling face cleaning products, etc. And then there is the dreaded nail and hand care cart which happened to trap me today. As I walked past, I tried to avoid eye contact by looking in the windows of the stores. But the woman at the cart pounced on me like a lion attacking its prey. The fact that she was very charming and a beautiful Israeli woman (she told me she was Israeli) with thick, dark curly hair and very dark eyes that looked intensely into mine, made it somewhat difficult for me to say "get away from me, I don't want any." She buffed my fingernail (yes, just one) and made it so shiny I can see my reflection and then she put some nice cuticle oil on my cuticles. Then she looked at my hands and said, "your hands are very dry." I live in Colorado, everything is dry. She then proceeded to rub some lotion into my hands and said, "now your hands are so soft and silky." Um, let go please... I was strong enough to resist a very flirtatious sell, but she gave me her name just in case I wanted to come back for a special deal or sale. I thanked her for being kind and sweet, then I ran away...

So I was proud that I was able to resist the hand and nail care kit, but I wasn't successful in resisting buying two different body sprays at the Body Shop. I walked in and I was immediately greeted by two women, a redhead and a blond, and I knew I was done for. I tried to hide at the back of the shop, but then the blond found me and asked me if I needed more help. I said that I was just torn between two scents. She said that one of the scents I was interested in was a "classic" sent, and the other one was really "sexy and sensual." I grabbed what I wanted, and I also got a nice discount and a bunch of samples.

I then went and had a less exciting and less stressful but still successful shopping trip at Old Navy.

Scary as it all was, it was a fairly successful shopping day.

Current mood: just fine
Current drink: Barq's Root Beer

No comments: