Thursday, November 06, 2008

This and That

Post-Election Thoughts: It goes without saying that this was an amazing week in American politics. We just took a historic step by electing the first African American president. It's great not only to see it but to actually play a part in it by voting for Obama. Of course I've voted several times before, but I've never felt so passionate or energized about an election as this one. Everyone around me seemed energized and passionate. The day after the election we had a victory party at work with food, cake, and champagne. It's been an amazing and incredible election year.

Bitter-Sweet: Although I was ecstatic and celebrating the Obama victory, I was disappointed that Prop 8, the amendment banning gay marriage, passed in California. Gay marriage bans also passed in Arizona and Florida, and Arkansas went so far as to ban gay adoption. Technically the words in the amendment banned "unmarried couples" from adopting children. Yes, that means an unmarried heterosexual couple can't adopt children (which is pretty bad in itself), but I think we all know what they really mean when they say "unmarried couples." They mean the gay or lesbian couples who, of course, can't get married. As I might have said before: only in this country can a person go on TV and marry a complete stranger for a million dollars, but God forbid a loving and committed gay or lesbian couple want to get married. That destroys the sanctity of marriage. That destroys society. The sky will fall. There will be fires and floods and earthquakes and swarms of locusts... It's really sad and pathetic. We like to think of ourselves as the "leaders of the free world," but we really have a lot to learn and we still have a long way to go.

Sickness and Health: This isn't related to marriage. This is related to our office, because it seems to be infested with a new virus. A new cold, flu, plague, or whatever it is, is making its way through our department. So far it has hit two people--two people who happen to be on my team--and my guess is that it won't be long before it infects everyone else. I've been lucky and have thus far been able to avoid all of the plagues that have hit the office over the past year. It's almost ironic because many of my co-workers tease me for how "unhealthy" I am because I'm obsessed with root beer, I love chips and Cheetos, I'm often craving blue cheese burgers, and I love to drink. So, with this being unhealthy--and maybe it is slightly unhealthy-- everyone is always shocked that I never get sick. Here is the secret: cod liver pills and a huge glass of orange juice every day. And when you feel like you might be getting sick, get a huge Jamba Juice with an immunity boost and go to Noodles (if you're lucky to have them where you live) and get a huge bowl of chicken noodle soup. But cod liver pills and OJ are the real secret. And maybe a few shots of whiskey to kill the germs...

1 comment:

Schreefel Patriarch said...

I thought the Constitution is the ultimate law of the land, or of California, or of Arizona, or of Arkansas. How can the ULTIMATE law of the people be so easily amended? Christ Himself says in St.Matthew, 22. 15-21: "Reditte quæ sunt Cæsaris, Cæsari; et qua sunt Dei, Deo". Was amending that Constitution not unChristlike? Papa