Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Moving...Sort Of

Right now my apartment complex is in the process of renovating all of the units. Usually they renovate the apartment when someone moves out, but because I plan on staying her for another year, I had the option to either end my lease and move to a different place or simply move to a newly remodeled unit. Because I'm not exactly ready to move to a different complex, I agreed to move to a different unit. They are also keeping my rent at the same rate which is a big plus. The rent payment always leaves my bank account pretty tight at the beginning of the month, but my apartment is huge for the price I pay. There are some apartments in this city that are only 400 square feet going for the same rate I pay. So even though the rent is a bit much, it's a steal for the area where I'm living.

Fortunately I'll just be moving from the third floor to the first floor. Unfortunately I'll be losing my view of the mountains and clouds which I love so much. And I'll also be losing my southern exposure, meaning my apartment will get less sunlight and will be darker. But being on the first floor means I don't have to worry about carrying laundry and groceries up and down the stairs. And when my family comes to visit me, they won't have to worry about struggling up the stairs.

The remodeled unit will have either brand new carpet or hardwood floors. Hardwood floors would be nice and fancy, but I bet carpet will be warmer during the winter. The walls will have a fresh set of paint, and I think it will actually be a color—maybe taupe (whatever taupe is)—and the walls will not be white. The walls will also have crown molding, which is sort of fancy. The kitchen will have brand new counters, new cabinets, and brand new appliances. The bathroom will also be completely redone.

So, it will be an interesting change, but I just have to move in about two weeks. That's a bit sudden and I was hoping for more time to get everything settled, but I just have to work around the apartment complex. Then I have to think about getting my address changed for all the bills I pay and for insurance or bank information, then I have to arrange to have all of the utilities and cable and internet transferred to my new place. And, naturally, all of this is happening during my absolutely busiest month at work. Why would I want things to be easy and stress free?

No comments: