Friday, September 15, 2006

The Child In All of Us

Regardless of how old we all get, there is always that eternal child in all of us. Today, a coworker and I drove down to Castle Rock to meet with a freelance typesetter to discuss some of our books. We met at 10:00 a.m. at a Village Inn, talked business while we drank coffee, then at around 12:00 we all decided that it was time to eat. We all happened to have breakfast for lunch. There is a certain, simple joy in this. Who knows why we get so excited when we have breakfast for lunch or dinner or a snack late in the evening. And who knows why some of us become children all over again whenever we stay in a hotel. A few months ago when I went to Indiana for a business trip, the first thing I did when I got to my hotel room was look through the desk and dresser drawers for the little hotel pens and stationary. I did this when I was younger, and I still do it at age 31.

I like this. I like to maintain that childlike wonder and curiosity about things. With work, rent, bills, and daily chores, sometimes this adult life is so overrated that you just want to remember the simple things of your childhood that made you happy. This is why I still sleep with a teddy bear and stuffed doggie. I might wear the Victoria's Secret jammies, which makes me feel all adult, but Santa Bear and Snuffy make me feel like a kid every night.

Current mood: relaxed
Current music: Dead Can Dance. Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Current drink:
7 Deadly Zins, Zinfandel
Current thought:
Happy Birthday, Laura!

No comments: