Thursday, July 01, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Well, I am finally moved into my new apartment...for the most part. I took the day off from work yesterday to finish some packing and to get a few things organized. I was very productive and jamming and dancing to a radio station from Hesperia, California. Then suddenly the music went silent. I was listening to the station online, but Comcast disconnected my cable and internet service yesterday afternoon. It wasn't exactly a surprise, though. I originally scheduled to have my service disconnected and reconnected yesterday, but that was before I found out that I couldn't move into my new place for another few days. So I was without TV for the rest of the day—perish the thought!—and I had to rely on my cell phone if I needed to get online or check e-mail. And thank God for iTunes so I wouldn't have to spend the entire afternoon in silence. (My internet and cable service was reconnected today.)

Today was the day of the big move. The movers came at about 9:15 and they were out the door by 10:45. I basically had them move all of the big and/or heavy items, and I moved the smaller, lighter boxes and furniture. After the movers left, I continued to move what was left. There is still a lot upstairs that I need to bring down, but fortunately I have a week to clear everything out. And all I have to say is that running up and down three flights of stairs all day is extremely exhausting. I already have a feeling that my legs are going to be really sore tomorrow.

My new apartment is very nice. It's the exact same floor plan, but it's flipped in the opposite direction, if that makes sense. So, where in my old place I'd have to turn right to walk into the kitchen, in my new place I have to turn left. In my old place, the bedroom was on the right, now it's on the left, and several wrong turns into the bathroom leads me to believe that it might take a while for me to get used to it. Light switches are also on the wrong walls!

My new apartment has brand new carpet, not hardwood, which, I think, will be nicer in the winter when it gets cold. The kitchen has brand new appliances, new cherry wood–style cabinets, and new counter tops. The walls are taupe (I think) and there is white crown molding. Everything in the bathroom is also brand new. The shower fixtures are different from what I had in my old apartment. When I used it for the first time this afternoon, I felt like I was in a hotel room and trying to figure out how to turn on a new shower. And I have a shower rod!! In my previous unit I had an awful shower door, so I'm grateful to have a shower rod again. Plus, I have a cool Greek-themed shower curtain that I can use again!

Being on the first floor is nice because I don't have to walk up the stairs. My apartment also feels about 20 degrees cooler than my third-floor apartment. But, as to be expected, first-floor apartments also come with a few negatives. Now that my apartment faces other apartments and not a greenbelt, I have to be more conscious of privacy. I can't just walk around naked because people might actually see me, so I have to at least make sure that the blinds are closed. And, being on the first floor, you're naturally going to hear everything above you, and I just happen to have a woman above me with her two children, a toddler and an infant. The toddler sounds like the hyperactive, running around type.

All in all, the new place is very nice and I think I made a very wise decision.

No comments: