Thursday, December 14, 2006

New Year, New Promises

I normally don't make new year's resolutions, probably because I lack willpower and any ability to commit to anything. Perhaps that's an exaggeration. But, maybe, just maybe, if I put my resolutions down in writing, albeit cyber writing, then maybe I'll stick to things a little better. Here we go. We'll see how I do in a few months.

1. Save money! This means no more unnecessary shopping trips to Victoria's Secret, Old Navy, Borders, Barnes & Noble, and any other such places. And just because I want a shiny new toy (like a cool digital camera), that doesn't mean that I have to buy it.

2. Eat healthier and exercise more. I've become a lazy bum over the past year. I need to change this and try to get back into shape.

3. Watch less TV and read more books. These days when I get home from work, I usually just plop down on the couch and watch TV for the rest of the night. It's a mindless way to waste away the night after a long hard day at work. But I think it is time my brain got a little more exercise, too.

4. Brush up on my Greek and Latin. I haven't been studying my Greek and Latin as much as I want to because of the aforementioned desire to plop down on the couch after work to watch TV the whole night. Maybe I'll make it my goal to read all of Homer's Odyssey (in Greek) before the year is over. Damn, that is ambitious! And insane!

5. To be a better person in general. This is probably a long shot even longer than eating healthier and exercising more. I suppose I want to be more even-keeled. I want to be less moody and I want to let things roll off my back the way they used to. I want to be more serious about the right things and less serious about the wrong things, if that makes sense. Mostly I want to go back to my loving, caring, and affectionate self and let go of the paranoid, distant, scared, and standoffish self. We'll see how I do...

Possibly, more to come later...

No comments: