Friday, December 15, 2006

So It Begins

In yesterday's post, I began composing my list of new year's resolutions. One of them was to save money. I'm going to try to get serious about this. Earlier today, a co-worker and I were talking about our money issues. We both live alone, so neither of us is able to split the rent and utilities with anyone. We're both single, so there isn't a boyfriend or husband (or girlfriend, in my case) who can help bring in a second income. And we're both involved in publishing which usually doesn't bring in a huge salary. We both talked about our splurges and the fact that we sometimes buy things that we don't necessarily need. She likes shoes. I like things from Victoria's Secret. So we both agreed to make a serious commitment to saving money.

I took a few small steps tonight. I decided to cancel my Netflix subscription. It's not much but it will save me about $17.00 a month. Besides, one of my other resolutions was to watch less TV and spend more time reading. Maybe this will kill two birds with one stone. I also decided to take a few credit cards out of my wallet. If I don't have them with me, I can't use them, right? Most notably, I took out my Old Navy card and my Victoria's Secret Angel card. I sealed them in an envelope and I sealed the envelope with packing tape. I tried to be realistic with myself, so I wrote the date March 7, 2007 on the envelope. I promised myself that I can't open the envelope before that date. That date happens to be my birthday, so if I should decide to buy myself a gift, then I'll open it for that one day. I'll be turning 32 that day, so who knows if I will be excited or depressed to buy something sexy! If I don't buy something that day, then all the better.

This is all a small step, but at least it is a step. Now I am going to pour myself a glass of cognac and enjoy every sip of it, because who knows how long it will be before I am able to buy another bottle.

No comments: