Friday, April 17, 2009

Live Blogging - April Blizzard, 2009

8:45 a.m.: A quick post since I'm at work. Run for your lives! The storm is approaching! Last night we had a steady rain, and when I woke up this morning, it was still raining in Boulder. But when I turned on the news, they were doing reports throughout Denver and apparently it was already starting to snow there. By the time I got ready and stepped out of my apartment building, it was still raining. But by the time I got to work, it showed the slightest resemblance to snow. Now the rain/snow is falling harder and it is falling at a 45 degree angle. The predictions are that the storm is only going to get worse, so they already made the decision to close the office at noon today.

10:28 a.m.: It's still not snowing in our particular area in Boulder, but apparently it is snowing really bad elsewhere. Most of the people in our office decided to stay home today, so things around here are really quiet. Normally I would really like this, but unfortunately this makes it a little difficult for me to get things accomplished when the people I need to work with on certain projects are at home. Oh well. In a few more hours, I'll be at home too.

12:03 p.m.: I'm officially home, so now I can feel less guilty about blogging while "working." At about 11:45 I was still at work and it was still raining, and a few minutes later, I was in our office parking lot and it was finally starting to snow in Boulder. The snowflakes are big, fat, heavy, and wet. It still seems like it is too warm for the snow to stick on the pavement and grass, and nothing is accumulating right now. But it seems like the snow is bad and sticking in other cities around here. We'll see what happens through the rest of the day.

1:05 p.m.: The snow is really starting to fall and it is finally starting to stick to the grass and roofs. The trees outside my apartment are swaying, so that must mean that the winds are starting to pick up. The weather people are predicting about 10 inches of total snow by this evening, and more snow is expected throughout the night. So they think that when all is said and done we could very well be up to about 2 feet. And just a few minutes after I started typing this, I looked out the window, and it seems like the snow is falling harder and fast. I'm sort of wondering if I need to make a cup of hot chocolate (spiked with rum) to honor the occasion of our spring blizzard...

3:45 p.m.: Well, it's not exactly snowing, but something is coming down right now. Maybe it's rain, or maybe it's almost sleet. Either way, whatever it is, it is coming down pretty hard. It's still pretty windy and it's kind of cold, but it's not freezing cold. What's happening right now, in Boulder at least, isn't quite a blizzard because the snow isn't exactly sticking and accumulating. I think the temperature is still a tad too warm, so the snow isn't exactly able to pile up. It is just really, really wet right now. A small river actually is starting to form in the greenbelt area behind my apartment building, and it looks quite lovely.

6:20 p.m.: Colorado is obviously made up of many microclimates. The weather in Boulder can be very different from the weather in Denver, and that seems to be very much the case today. Since I got home at around noon there have been periods of snow, followed by periods of hard rain, followed by more periods of snow, followed by more rain. The weather in Colorado also moves in cycles and bands, obviously. As I started writing this particular update, I was going to say how amazed I was with the microclimates throughout the area. Even though we've had a few brief periods of snow in Boulder, we've mostly just had a lot of rain. Denver and other areas around the area, on the other hand, have had a lot of snow. But now, as I look out my windows and sliding glass door, I see some huge, fat snowflakes falling. Again, it looks like the heavy, wet kind of snowflakes, so I wonder how much of it will stick. All I know is that the little river outside my apartment keeps getting bigger. (Don't worry, I'm being dramatic, and there will be no danger of flooding.)

9:31 p.m.: At about 7:45 this evening I went outside to get my mail. When I stepped on the sidewalk, I was feeling pretty thankful that I wore my snow boots. I stepped right into some thick, wet slush, and there were a few puddles along the sidewalk that were a few inches deep. At the time it was still raining/snowing, but it was fairly light. The temperature didn't feel that cold, but it was probably in the low 30s. Yes, apparently I'm getting used to the colder weather. Naturally it is dark now, and I can't tell if it is raining or snowing or if it is the rain/snow mix that we've been having off and on all day. But when I poked my head out onto my balcony, it sounds like it is mostly raining. I just looked out my dining room window and the sidewalk below looks slushy, but there isn't a blanket of snow. This certainly isn't the powdery type of snow that we get in the middle of winter! As I might have mentioned before, this storm is supposed to continue through the night, so we'll have to wait and see what things look like in the morning. If I were at work or if I had someplace to be, I would probably be hating this weather right now. But, from the comfort and warmth of my apartment, I think it is kind of cozy!

No comments: