Saturday, April 04, 2009

This and That, Weekend Edition

Weather: The weather has been really strange lately. We've had moments of mini-blizzards followed by moments of spring. We've had a few good and serious snowfalls recently, but the days following were warm and sunny. This is typical of Colorado. For the past few days they were predicting a horrible blizzard for Friday night and all day Saturday. Friday was a strange day. For the most part it was dark and gray. There were ominous clouds over the mountains and while I was sitting in my office, I kept thinking that the storm was going to hit before we all left work. We had a brief storm, of rain, not snow. Once that rainstorm passed the clouds parted and the blue skies returned. Clouds rolled in again then rolled out and we had blue skies again. So now everyone was thinking that the storm would hit during the evening commute. Nothing. It was cloudy and starting to get windy, but no rain and no snow. The winds picked up during the evening and it finally started raining at 10:00. I was in bed by 11:00, but I got up around 11:30 or 12:00 and looked out the window and it was starting to snow. This is the blizzard, I thought. When I woke up this morning, I looked out the window and there were about two inches on the ground. Not exactly the two feet they were predicting. Oh well. I guess that means that I will be able to go out this weekend rather than being trapped in the house.

Work: Wednesday marked my 2-year anniversary at my current job. These moments pass with little recognition and fanfare, so I gave myself a pat on the back. It is hard to measure time in publishing. Two years can sometimes feel like two weeks, but other times it can feel like fourteen years. It's kind of like dog years. I have my formal review next week, so I still need to write up my self-evaluation and my goals for the next year. Because of the economy, no one is getting a raise or a bonus this year. Normally that would bother me, but I'm just thankful to have a job considering how bad things are out there. So rather than stew and pout over what I'm not getting, I appreciate what I have. And what did I do to celebrate my anniversary week? I brought work home with me over the weekend! Sad, but I had to. I had one particularly bad and messy project that absorbed most of my time during the week, and I had to put a lot of my other projects aside. So now I have to use this weekend to catch up on everything else. Happy anniversary!

Current mood: productive
Current music: iTunes on shuffle—Jessica Andrews "There's More to Me Than You (ballad version)"
Current drink: Barq's root beer

No comments: