Sunday, April 19, 2009

This and That, Weekend Edition

Out of commission: I was out of commission all day yesterday because I was hit pretty hard by a terrible headache/borderline migraine. No, it wasn't a hangover, and I actually haven't had a drink in about a week. But when I'm stressed, working too hard and too many hours, eventually my body gives in and forcibly tells me that I need to rest. Unfortunately my body's way of telling me this is by hitting me hard with a headache. When I woke up at about 9:00 on Saturday morning I felt pretty awful. I took some Excedrin migraine medicine and went back to bed. I hoped that if I slept for a few more hours the headache would go away. I slept until about 2:00 or 3:00 but still felt pretty bad. In addition to still having a headache, my entire body ached. I forced myself to eat and drink something, and I sat and watched TV for a few hours, but I still wasn't feeling too good. So at about 7:00 or so, I went back to bed. Today my headache is gone, but my body, especially my neck, is still a bit achy and sore.

Work and chores: Unfortunately I can't rest too much today. I brought some work home with me this weekend, and I have quite a bit to do. I also have the typical household chores that I need to do. And I also promised to bake some Baklava Bars for a birthday celebration that we are having for my boss at work tomorrow. So, apparently it is back to the same stress-filled grind that puts me out of commission in the first place.

Snow: Because I slept for most of the day yesterday, I wasn't able to continue my live blog on the spring blizzard. When I looked out the window when I initially work up, thing still looked pretty wet and a very thin layer of snow covered the roofs on the buildings around me. But things didn't look too bad. But, like I mentioned during my live blog, Colorado is made up of microclimates. Things might be fine in my area, but things could be horrible just a few miles away. When I woke up this morning, there wasn't a trace of snow and the sidewalks were dry for the most part. But when I went shopping today I realized that things were completely different just 10 miles south. Areas like Louisville and Superior were still covered with a very thick blanket of snow, and the mountains to the west were covered with snow. Even south Boulder was a completely different picture from northeast Boulder. It's just strange.

Strategic bagging: Packing items into grocery bags is a fine art, at least in my opinion. You need to be thoughtful and strategic about how you pack things. For example, it probably isn't wise to throw the 4 pound bag of sugar on top of the potato chips and loaf of bread. And it's probably not wise to pack the heavy, 5 pound bottle of hand soap with the fragile, delicate eggs. I now have a deformed loaf of bread and probably a bag of smashed potato chips, but fortunately the eggs are fine.

Bird nests: Yesterday, when I was trying to sleep off my headache, I would occasionally hear some rustling outside of my apartment. At first I thought that maybe maintenance was doing something outside of my apartment like patching the roof or cleaning the gutters. But more and more I realized that it sounded like birds or some other kind of critter. I heard more of it this morning when I woke up. So before I went shopping today, I went outside to see if I could find what I was hearing, and, lo and behold, a little bird's head popped out of the wall next to my bedroom window. Someway and somehow, some birds have built a nest in the wall outside of my apartment. I have absolutely no idea how they could manage to do that. And, because this hole/nest is on the south side of my apartment, an area where I rarely walk, I never noticed before. So I suppose I need to tell the apartment managers and maintenance about this, but I'm not sure how they will take care of it without disturbing the nest. But also doesn't seem wise to have a bird's nest between my bedroom and the outside world.

Current mood: tired
Current music: iTunes on shuffle—Chantal Kreviazuk "Time"
Current drink: Barq's root beer

No comments: