Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Music and Memories

Music tends to play a major role in movies, TV shows, and even reality shows. Whenever you hear a certain song, you tend to think about a moment in the movie or show. It captures certain feelings and brings back specific memories. Music tends to do this in real life. At least it does for me. Whenever I hear certain songs, I think of specific moments in my life, what I was doing, the people I knew. While I was doing some shopping this evening, I heard a few songs on the radio that brought back certain memories. Ironically, a lot of these songs were ones that were popular during my last few years in high school. Most of these songs were really good. Some of them remind me how old I am, but I still love hearing them. Other songs, though, make me cringe because they happened to be the favorites of some of my high school friends. The song itself might be fine, but the thought of my friends makes me gag a little because I can't help but think about how far I've come since then. After I clear the gag, the one thought through my mind is "thank god that's long over with." Although, to this day, I still can't listen to a Hootie and the Blowfish song without feeling annoyed. At least now I have much better memories and better song associations. Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing CD makes me think of graduating from Irvine Valley College and moving on to Cal State Fullerton where I met a new crush and started a new phase of my life. Dead Can Dance and Loreena McKennitt make me think of Saturday Dinners at my best friend's house in California--good food, good wine, good music, and wonderful company. Melissa Etheridge's Lucky CD makes me think of graduating from grad school and starting a new job. Songs by the Killers or "Feel Good, Inc." by Gorillaz makes me think of a certain friend. Tori Amos makes me think of one of my recent crushes. And there are plenty of songs that make me think of my current crush.

Current mood: happy
Current music: Beth Waters. Beth Waters. Although, for maybe one person out there the current song should be "You're So Vain"...you probably think this post is about you. For those of you I love, you know which part is about you.
Current weather: raining, slightly breezy, the air smells wonderful
Current drink: Remy Martin V.S.O.P

No comments: