Saturday, May 05, 2007

What Do These Strangers Know?

Today I decided to wander around a new shopping center here in Boulder. I'm not sure what is wrong (or what is right) with the day today. While walking down the hallways--if you can call them that in an open shopping center--people and children kept smiling at me. Dogs tried to lick my hand. I went to Borders because I can't possibly have enough books in my life. While in the store, nearly every employee asked me if I needed help looking for something. I said that I was just browsing. I really did need help finding something but I never like to bother anyone, so instead I just wandered around the store until I found what I was looking for. In the course of my wandering, though, several customers smiled at me and said "hello." And one person was staring at me so much as he walked down the stairs that he nearly tumbled down the last few steps. If that happened, that would have put a lot of guilt on my conscience. Having so many people looking at me and staring at me is somewhat disturbing to a mildly paranoid person. What is wrong? I thought to myself. Is my zipper down? Did a bird poop in my hair? Did I grow a second head? I did a subtle check of all three of these things, literally, and I appeared to be in normal order. I wear a pair of black boots and a leather jacket that sometimes gives the impression that I just rode in on a motorcycle, and this is slightly different from the typical Boulder mountain attire of fleece jackets and hiking boots. Maybe that was what caught people off guard. Or did I somehow become famous (or infamous) overnight and people are staring at me because they recognize me and are just too shy to approach me. Nope, I doubt that explains it. I don't know what it is that led everyone to eye me all day. It is really puzzling...

Current music: Tori Amos. American Doll Posse
Current read: Elizabeth Gilbert. Eat, Pray, Love

No comments: