Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Construction, Heat, and More

Construction: I've said something about this in a previous post, but I'll say it again. If Julius Caesar can build a bridge across the Rhine River in ten days, it shouldn't take us over a year to widen one intersection. Why do I write about this a second time? Because it took me about 30 minutes to get home from work today. A 30-minute commute isn't all that bad consider the time that many people spend on the roads commuting. But, a 30-minute commute is annoying when you live less than three miles away. Honestly. Julius Caesar. Man power. Wooden bridge. Only ten days. Us. Man power (that mostly stands around doing nothing). Big, expensive machinery. Almost twelve months, and still no major progress. Thank God Americans these days aren't expected to create grand architectural and cultural monuments like the Parthenon or the Colosseum. The structures would never get finished.

Heat: About six months ago, when we were buried under several feet of snow and stranded at home, people throughout Colorado kept saying how tired they were of winter and how much they were looking forward to warm weather. I'll admit, I was saying the same thing. Spring was nice, but the summer is starting to get hot. Temperatures are starting to climb into the 90s during the day, and things stay fairly warm at night. Sleeping naked is the only way to bring some relief to the nights...and that is probably more information about me than most cared to read about. My little cabin apartment tends to be warmer because I don't have air conditioning, and I haven't bought a fan yet. So my apartment can get quite warm at night. I suppose cooking a steak dinner tonight only added to the inside temperature. ... and maybe the bottle of Zinfandel also adds to the heat a little...

More: Things in general are good. With the exception of one chaotic book, things at work are reasonable and relatively quiet. We see the waves on the horizon, though, so things will probably start to get a tad busier. But we'll just have to take things as they come, and I'm used to riding the waves...metaphorically speaking, of course. Speaking of riding waves. I started writing a new poem that alludes to Odysseus and the Sirens, but I got stuck. Hopefully my Muse will strike me, and once she does I'll post what I end up with.

Current mood: relaxed and stuffed from a big dinner
Current music: Dixie Chicks. Taking the Long Way
Current drink: Ravenswood 2004 Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

No comments: