Thursday, June 07, 2007

Time to Fly a Kite...

...well, maybe not...

In Colorado, every now and then, we have some pretty windy days. For those of you from California, it's like the Santa Ana winds but much worse. Yesterday we had some especially bad winds that reached about 92 m.p.h. That's not a typo! Early in the evening when I looked out my window, I saw welcome mats fly by and lawn furniture tumbling and rolling down the street. The wind also started to rip branches and limbs off the trees. At about 10:00 we lost power. The strange thing is that the moment we lost power it was almost as if the world had ended. When the power goes out, you would normally expect someone to at least poke their head out of their door to see what is happening. No one opened their door and I heard no voices at all, not even the voice of my annoying neighbor. You would at least expect to see the glow of a flashlight or a candle in some of the windows, but I didn't see any of that either. It was total darkness. So I lit my candles, and because I have so many of them, it was almost as if I had my lights on. Since it was getting late anyway, I decided to just go to bed, but it was impossible to sleep. The wind alone was loud enough, but the winds also got stronger throughout the night. Tree limbs kept falling directly on the roof above me, and I was constantly jarred out of sleep by the sound of giant crashes or thuds. I suppose I'm fortunate that nothing crashed through the roof, because that happened to a few people in the state. So I woke up this morning tired and exhausted, because I couldn't sleep. Fortunately the winds have quited down, so maybe things will be better today.

No comments: