Saturday, June 16, 2007

Summer Storms

You can tell that it is officially summer here in Colorado. The morning and early part of the afternoon were beautiful. It was sunny and the temperature was pretty warm. But, as if on cue, some dark clouds started to roll over the mountains right around 2:30 in the afternoon. There was a continuous low rumble of thunder, and eventually the rain started to fall at around 3:00. It rained for about an hour, now things are clear and calm. The temperature certainly cooled off because of the rain, and the air smells wonderful.

I was out shopping before it started to rain, and I wish I had my camera then. I was in a perfect shopping center to take some great pictures of the mountains and the clouds. The clouds were incredibly dark and had a slight greenish tint to it. It was cool and eerie at the same time. But, unfortunately, I had to wait until I got home before I could snap a few pictures. The clouds weren't as dramatic from the point of view of my apartment, but it was still pretty cool.
I was hoping I would be able to capture some lightning in a picture, but I wasn't lucky enough. Besides, I didn't stay outside for long considering lightning has an uncanny way of striking people in Colorado. Maybe it is the elevation. Who knows? All in all, I knew that standing outside in an open parking lot probably wouldn't have been the wisest thing to do. I also didn't want to unsettle certain members of my family and a few of my friends by letting them know that I was standing outside trying to take pictures of lightning. Of course, they would probably suggest that if I really wanted a picture of lightning, I should try taking the picture while flying a kite with a little key attached to the end of it. That would be the advice from my family and friends.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice pics. I stole them to potentially use as a backdrop for our gaming artwork! Hope you don't mind.