Sunday, June 10, 2007

More of This and That

This is just another one of those posts about nothing much at all.

Work and such: Things in general have been going pretty well. For me, things have been somewhat quiet at work since most of my projects are with freelancers or are being reviewed by authors. It feels like the calm before the storm, though, because things will get really busy really soon. Our company just bought another company and we expect our workload to double. We don't know when the tidal wave will hit, but it will probably hit within the next few weeks. Things will be busy and things will be chaotic, but at least it is a good kind of busy and a controlled chaos. At most of my previous jobs all of the chaos was uncontrolled chaos, so controlled chaos is much better and welcome change.

Ego (and by ego I mean ego in the Greek and Latin sense of "I"): I'm slowly starting to form some pretty good friendships at work, and that's nice. But on the other hand, I'm still somewhat timid. I'm sort of a strange person. My best friend tells me that I've never seemed more confident and more comfortable in my own skin, and this is true. I think that over the past few years I really grew into myself, if that makes any sense. But as confident and as comfortable as I am, I've noticed recently at this new job that I'm actually somewhat shy and reserved and sort of dodgy and skittish. I think I sometimes resemble a nervous cat. But, over the past few years, I've learned to pick and choose my friends more wisely. I need time to gauge a person's comfort level with me. I need time to build trust, and the older I get the longer it seems to take. I'm somewhat protective of myself, so I'm slow to get to know people and I'm slower to let people into my little life. Of course the real irony is that I have this public blog in spite of the fact that in person I'm usually very private about my personal life. I know it doesn't make sense and it doesn't make any sense to me. I don't make any sense to myself sometimes. Most of the time I look into the mirror and ask, "who the heck are you?" Yet the other side of me, my alter ego I suppose, knows exactly who I am, is confident in who I am, and is proud of who I am.

Visitors: I've noticed that I've recently had my 1,000 visitor to this blog. Actually, I don't have a ton of readers, I just have a few who read regularly. Still, I'm somewhat surprised to see that people actually have an interest in my crazy life and my insane mind. But I suppose people are intrigued by strange and crazy things, like car wrecks or three-legged cats.

No comments: