Friday, March 21, 2008

Leaving the Office Early!

In an effort to not write another "This and That" post, I'll write several posts tonight. What the heck. I'm having a glass of wine and relaxing tonight.

By now, after reading all of my recent posts, you're probably well aware that things have been busy at work. I've had another long week of 10- or 12-hour days, and I wasn't alone. There were a few of us who were still at the office well after 6:00 p.m. One of my friends was still at the office well past 7:30. These days and weeks are getting exhausting, but we're all hoping for that their is an end--or even a slowdown--in sight. April will be full of big deadlines, and hopefully after that we'll have a brief moment to breathe. Then, I'm assuming, the next tidal wave will come. Because I've been working so late these days, I did the unimaginable today. I left early! Now, brace yourself...I left at 4:45!! Okay, so it is only 15 minutes before 5:00 and considering I got in the office a little before 8:00, it's still almost a 9-hour workday. Oh well. For me it was an accomplishment!

Anyway, as stressful and exhausting as things get, this really is the perfect job. I work work with a lot of cool people and I work on some really interesting books. Authors can be both a blessing and a curse, and I've been fortunate to have more blessings than curses. This week, in particular, I've had a lot of wonderful conversations and experiences with my authors. We're all under the pressure of deadlines, and fortunately my authors have been so cooperative and accommodating. And what makes it even better is that most of my current authors have such good natures and great senses of humor. You have no idea how much a good laugh or conversation really helps to ease the pressure and stress. It doesn't solve all the problems and it doesn't have the ability to stop time, but it sure makes things so much easier to deal with.

No comments: