Monday, April 28, 2008

Near Death Experiences (not my own) and Strange Sights

Near Death Experiences: This was a fairly quiet weekend where all I did was run some errands, do some shopping, and try to clean my apartment. I was out Sunday driving down 30th Street with nothing but green lights ahead of me. Even though my lights were green, some woman was crossing the street at an intersection up ahead. In Boulder it's not unusual for people to jaywalk or to cross the street against the light if no traffic is coming. Most people, however, follow their mothers' rule that you should look both ways before crossing the street. This particular woman, however, was crossing the street while looking down at her phone. As I got closer to her, it looked like she was text messaging someone. She was fixated on her phone, didn't look up, and didn't notice anything that was going on around her. Naturally, realizing that I potentially had an idiot on my hands, I didn't slow down too much. Hey, someone needs to scare her so that she learns a lesson and doesn't end up being someone else's roadkill! And I'm perfectly content letting that person be me! I didn't really slow down until I got near the intersection, and she finally looked up and saw my little silver car coming toward her like a bullet. She had a "surprised" look on her face when she saw me, then she looked up and realized that she was walking against a red light. She rolled her eyes, shook her head, then scurried across the remaining lanes of the street. I like to assume that she shook her head because she realized how stupid she was. I can only hope. And, don't worry, even though I was coming toward her like a speeding bullet, I definitely would have been able to stop in time. And even if I did run her over (oops), then that would simply have proven Darwin's theory.

Strange Sights: What are you supposed to think when you go to Target and the person in line in front of you is buying nothing but a 24-pack of toilet paper and two cans of air freshener? I don't know, but it certainly makes you think, doesn't it?

No comments: