Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Pain...I'm in Pain...

So, I am on another health kick again. The inspiration for this latest health kick is a friend who recently (on a whim) woke up one morning and decided to run a 7K race in Denver on St. Patrick's Day weekend. Hearing that story and the fact that it was something she randomly decided to do, I was inspired to try to get back into shape and to exercise more. I considered joining a gym or the YMCA or the Recreation Center in Boulder, but it costs over $500 a year to join those places. That amounts to anywhere between $40 and $50 a month. To me, that sounds like a lot of money. Then again, I'm also the type of person who will spend $40 on a good bottle of Cognac, but whatever. So, for now, I've decided to not join a gym or other such establishment, and I've decided to work out at home instead.

I've always liked lifting weights, so that's what I'm doing. I worked out on Sunday, and I'm feeling pretty sore today. Okay, I'm really sore. I'm mostly sore in my legs. My upper body has always been fairly strong and resilient, but my legs have always been the weaker parts of my body. For some reason--probably because I'm my father's daughter and can't "ease" into things--I sort of overdid it. I was doing lunges and squats with weights, and then I got the crazy idea to jump rope between sets because I thought it would be a good to get a little cardio workout between sets. My legs really hurt. Today at work, I wanted to go down to the downstairs kitchen to get some root beer. It sorta hurt to walk down the stairs. With each step I took, it felt like someone was whacking me on my thighs with a baseball bat. I was tempted to take the elevator back up to the second floor but decided not to because that would be sort of pathetic.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I'm in pain, but I rested yesterday and plan on working out again tonight. I have to keep working my muscles if they are going to get stronger, and hopefully the more I work out the less sore I'll get in the future. But, man, I hurt...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...so I give you credit for even doing it. The last time I exercised was when I was doing laps on my 10-speed back in Union Lake...ah, good times...