Monday, May 12, 2008

Exquisite Corpse

That might seem like an odd or morbid title, but it is something that is pretty cool. Here is a brief explanation taken from Wikipedia.

Exquisite corpse (also known as "exquisite cadaver" or "rotating corpse") is a method by which a collection of words or images are collectively assembled, the result being known as the exquisite corpse or cadavre exquis in French. Each collaborator adds to a composition in sequence, either by following a rule (e.g. "The adjective noun adverb verb the adjective noun") or by being allowed to see the end of what the previous person contributed.
The technique was invented by Surrealists in 1925, and is similar to an old parlour game called Consequences in which players write in turn on a sheet of paper, fold it to conceal part of the writing, and then pass it to the next player for a further contribution. Henry Miller often partook of the game to pass the time in French cafes during the 1930s.
The name is derived from a phrase that resulted when Surrealists first played the game, "Le cadavre exquis boira le vin nouveau." ("The exquisite corpse will drink the new wine.")


One of my co-workers/beautiful and wonderfully talented friend and I decided to try our hands at this type of story. She started out by writing a sentence and e-mailing it to me. I added a sentence, then passed it back to her. So we've been going back and forth and keep adding a sentence or two to whatever the other has written. We're only a few sentences into our story, but it is already getting interesting. I guess the most interesting thing about this whole experiment is how two different people, each with her own creative mind and different backgrounds, experiences, and tastes, can shape one single story. It's really interesting and a lot of fun. Although, I have to admit, when I first started this I was slightly intimidated because my friend has such a strong background with creative writing and because she was just accepted into a graduate program in creative writing. Still, I think that it will be great for me. It will get my creative juices flowing and force me to write prose again. And it will probably challenge me, which I think is a good thing.

So for any of my readers out there who enjoy writing, I suggest you try this little experiment with a friend. So far I've been having a great time! Maybe you will too.

No comments: