Sunday, February 04, 2007

Super Sunday??

Like most of the country, I spent the evening tonight watching the Super Bowl. Maybe the bad weather made the game sloppy and a little boring. But like a lot of people, what I really love to see are the commercials. Usually they are pretty good and pretty clever and creative. For some reason the commercials this year were pretty boring. For one, about 70% of the commercials were for CBS TV shows. And, two, some of the commercials were just odd. The commercials used to be fun and light-hearted. Now everything is reduced to physical humor. When playing rock, paper, scissors, throw a rock at someone's head so you can get the beer. Want to send a message about heart disease? Have some guy dressed in a giant heart costume get beat up in an alley. The "fist bump" is out, but face slapping is in. Does your workplace resemble a battleground where employees are running around with Post-It armor and binders on their heads and beating each other up? It was just odd. Having studied the Classics and having seen a lot of action movies, violence and physical fights usually doesn't bother me. It only becomes an issue when it is gratuitous and made in an effort to be funny. I'm sure some people thought these ads were funny, but the ads weren't smart or clever. Maybe this is a sign that I've been watching too much TV tonight. I think I'm going to turn off the tube, pour myself a nice glass of wine, and listen to some nice music instead.

No comments: