Thursday, February 01, 2007

Frigid

Here we are, getting our seventh snowfall in seven weeks. Some people might think, "well, it is Colorado, you're near the Rockies, you people should be used to this." Not so true. If this were a normal Colorado winter, we would get large snowfalls that would promptly melt within two days. The problem that we're having is that the temperatures have been too cold, so the snow isn't melting that much. And at the moment when you think that the weather is looking better, you'll get another snowfall.

It is beautiful and all, but I am eager for the day when I don't have to scrape frost and ice off the windows of my car. I wish I could find some kid to do it for me. There are always kids out there who are looking to make some extra money mowing lawns or shoveling sidewalks. I wonder if someone wants to wake up at 7:30 to clean the snow and ice of my car? Probably not. At least I'm getting better at the whole ice scraping thing since I've been living here for a few years. My first winter I found myself without an ice scraper and found myself saying, "I'm from California I don't own an ice scraper." On that first cold, winter day, I was scraping a spatula across my windshield. I've wised up since then, but I still haven't bought a shovel.

We got some snow yesterday, but it was supposed to calm down for most of the day today. Everyone was predicting that "the next wave" would hit us at the end of the day. Well, the snow started at about 2:00. It was a gentle snowfall at first, but then it started to get worse and it started to swirl in every direction. And, if it isn't bad enough to deal with the snow, the temperatures dropped rapidly. Things were looking pretty bad, so I left work early before it got too dark and too cold. What is normally a 10-15 minute commute for me took about 30-40 minutes. That's not so bad considering some of my friends who live in Denver probably had a much longer commute.

The one nice thing about getting home earlier is that I was able to take my time to make myself a nice dinner. Naturally I made my world famous vodka cream pasta. Well, maybe it isn't world famous, but it is famous in my little apartment, even if I am the only one who has ever tasted it.

They say that the temperature is going to be -7 this evening, so I suppose I better find something to warm myself up...and I'm not talking about a blanket...

No comments: