Thursday, February 22, 2007

Work Ethic

Who would have thought that a short workweek would feel so long. In spite of having the day of on Monday, this week has felt incredibly long. The sad thing is that I still have one more day to go. And even sadder is the fact that I brought work home with me tonight. In addition to doing some work tonight, I also have to write my self-evaluation. With my boss leaving we want to have all of the paperwork in order before he goes. All I have to do is list what I've done this past year and my major accomplishments (like putting together a publications department). I also have to list my goals for the next year. Of course my major goal is to get promoted. But my secret goal is to live though the workday like many of my co-workers. Let's see: take the day off to play golf (or something else I would enjoy more); take two or three hours out of the day to wash my car or run other errands; take one or two hours to go work out; take two-hour lunches at least three times a week; come to work at 10:00 and leave at 3:00. Sounds like a plan. Too bad I was brought up to have a good work ethic. As much as I would love to take two-hour lunches or come home to do a few loads of laundry, I keep myself busy at work. Instead of taking the day off to "play," I keep putting off a vacation home because I have too much to do. Such is life, I guess. I'm sure I look good in someone's eyes.

No comments: