Friday, March 30, 2007

Last Day

My last day at work was rather quiet and anticlimactic, quite honestly. My first boss had his last day on Friday of last week, so our going away parties were combined into one day. Then I had to come back to work for one more week. This week was thrown into disarray because our department moved our offices. I had my exit interview on Thursday, but still had to come back to work for one more day today. Because we were in a completely different building essentially by ourselves, I didn't really see anyone before I left. We had a nice, quite department lunch, but no wild parties after work. I slipped out of the office somewhat early, I picked up some dinner on the way home, and I've been enjoying a quiet evening since then.

This is all very different from when I quit my last job. At my last job I walked out of the office with a feeling of triumph as if I just won a major gladiator match. Then I walked out to the cheers and congratulations of the crowd (my coworkers). At this job, I simply said goodbye to the people in my department, and then I slipped out quietly. It felt odd, as if I were just leaving for a normal weekend. What seemed like a big, exciting day for me was just another day to the rest of the world. I suppose it is nice to slip out quietly, though. What has been done is done. One chapter is closed, and a new chapter is about to begin.

No comments: