Thursday, March 15, 2007

Denuone Latine Loquebar?

Being an editor and a Classicist, you would think that I have a fairly good understanding of words. Several times this week at work I have overheard many lengthy and seemingly confused discussions about language. One day in one office: "what is the difference between affect and effect? Is one a verb and one a noun? How are they different and which one should I use?" Another day in another office: "what is the singular of alumni? Is it alumnus? But isn't that masculine? What is the feminine? But what if you want the feminine plural? Should we just say alums?" The same alumnus/alumna conversation happened again this afternoon. For some reason all of these conversations took place in the hallways or offices around me, yet no one asked for my humble opinion. Umm, hello... here I am... I'm an editor, I'm pretty good with words, I can tell you the difference between affect and effect. And I studied Latin...I can give you the full declensions of alumnus and alumna... Oh well. Never mind.

Current mood: annoyed
Current music: more random songs from the playlist. Currently Tori Amos "Hey Jupiter (Dakota Remix)"
Current drink: Fat Tire

No comments: