Monday, March 26, 2007

One Down, Four to Go

I'm getting closer and closer to my last day at my current job. Part of me is starting to panic only because there is still a lot of work I need to do before I leave. I was tempted to bring work home with me this weekend, but a wise friend advised against it. As she said, they have good people there who are capable enough to take things over, so why should I kill myself over anything. All I need to do is to get things in decent order for a smooth transition. The other part of me is excited because I'm ready for all of this to end, and I'm ready to start something new. I did find myself, though, feeling exhausted this afternoon. I wish I could have taken a week off between jobs. But there is only so much you can do when you have a lot of work to do at one job and when the new place needs you so badly. The hamster wheel keeps turning, but that's okay. That is why I tend to sleep in so late on the weekends.

As part of my Great Exit, I'll have to go through my exit interview later this week. Exit interviews are always a strange balancing act. On the one hand you want to be honest, but on the other hand you don't want to be so honest that the company retaliates against you or your coworkers. I don't think that will happen where I work now, but it is something you have to think about nonetheless. I just need to remind myself to be diplomatic and political in my honesty. Anyone who knows me knows that when I start to get honest, I can really get honest and I don't hold back. I often think that my life will end like Cicero's with someone stabbing a hairpin through my tongue for all of the things I've said. ...That's a morbid thought... Anyway, in my exit interview, I just need to toe the line of being honest yet diplomatic. We'll see what happens, but, on the bright side, I doubt that it will have the same Mount Vesuvius effect as when I left my last job. Really, it takes a special touch to leave that kind of destruction.

No comments: