Sunday, September 09, 2007

Vegetable

I opted for the wine tonight. Catena's 2005 Malbec to be exact.

I wanted to be a vegetable tonight, so I sat on the couch and looked for something good on TV. I didn't have much luck. There was football, which was okay, but it was the Giants vs. the Cowboys, so I didn't have any personal interest in that game. There were random things on Food Network. I turned to MTV to catch a glimpse of the VMAs. What a disaster! Honestly, does anyone really sing anymore or is it really possible to lip-synch your way through your entire career? Disappointed, disgusted, and sometimes horrified by the few performances I saw at the VMAs, I decided to put in a DVD of Loreena McKennitt's performance at the Alhambra. Now that is what you call real singing and real performing! The woman actually sings, and she sings beautifully. No fancy stage production (other than a setting at the Alhambra), no wild dance moves, just pure performing and pure singing. And you didn't see any lip-synching. And, really, how many performers can play a harp next to an electric guitar and make it sound really awesome?! I think some of the performers today could take a lesson from her!

No comments: