Sunday, September 30, 2007

Working on the Weekend

Most people work for the weekend (who sang that song, again?), but I've been working on the weekends. Things are still busy at work, and because I have three books going to press tomorrow, things are a little busier. I've been getting to work at my normal time, 8:00, but for the past week I've been pulling long hours and working until around 6:30 on most nights. And that doesn't account for the work that I still take home with me. We also have a new person starting in our department tomorrow. Since the first week is usually filled with training and lunches and various other things, that doesn't leave much time to get any real work done. So I've been pulling the long hours just to get enough done to make up for any time I'll lose during the week. Normally I can bring work home with me on the weekends, but this time I had to go into the office. I actually like working in the office on the weekends. Of course I try not to make a habit of it. I like working when it is absolutely silent except for the creaking of the building as it settles and the sound of the wind blowing against the windows. There is something both eerie and fun about hearing random sounds that I normally don't notice during the average workday.

I worked today for only about three hours or so, and I'm determined to enjoy the rest of my weekend. In reality, I'll probably just try to clean my apartment. How exciting! But, on a brighter note, it is absolutely beautiful today. The weather has been fabulous.

Current mood: productive
Current music: K.T. Tunstall. Drastic Fantastic
Current drink: Fat Tire

No comments: